Our commitment to your privacy
This site is owned and operated by the company. Your privacy on the Internet is of the utmost importance to us. We want to make your experience online satisfying and safe.
Because we gather certain types of information about our users, we feel you should fully understand our policy and the terms and conditions surrounding the capture and use of that information. This privacy statement discloses what information we gather and how we use it.
Information gathered and tracked
This site gathers two types of information about users:
- Information that users provide through optional, voluntary submissions. These are voluntary submissions to receive our electronic newsletters, to participate in our message boards or forums, to email a friend, and from participation in polls and surveys; and
- Information gathered through aggregated tracking information derived mainly by tallying page views throughout our sites. This information allows us to better tailor our content to readers’ needs and to help us better understand the demographics of our audience. Under no circumstances will we divulge any information about an individual user to a third party.
The site gathers user information in the following processes:
Optional Voluntary Information
We offer the following free services, which require some type of voluntary submission of personal information by users:
- Electronic newsletters policy
- We offer a free electronic newsletter to users. We gather the email addresses of users who voluntarily subscribe. Users may remove themselves from this mailing list by following the link provided in every newsletter that points users to the subscription management page. Users can also subscribe to the newsletters at the time of registration.
- Message boards/forums policy
- Users of the site’s Message Boards and Forums must register separately for these services (which will be free of charge, should they be implemented) in order to post messages, although they needn’t register to visit the site. During registration the user is required to supply a username, password, and email address.
- “Email this to a friend” policy
- Our site users can choose to electronically forward a link, page, or document to someone else by clicking “email this to a friend”. The user must provide their email address, as well as that of the recipient. This information is used only in the case of transmission errors and, of course, to let the recipient know who sent the email. The information is not used for any other purpose.
- We may offer interactive polls to users so they can easily share their opinions with other users and see what our audience thinks about our product. Opinions or other responses to polls are aggregated and are not identifiable to any particular user. This site may use a system to “tag” users after they have voted, so they can vote only once on a particular question. This tag is not correlated with information about individual users.
- We may occasionally conduct user surveys to better target our content to our audience. We sometimes share the aggregated demographic information in these surveys with our sponsors, advertisers and partners. We never share any of this information about specific individuals with any third party.
We will never knowingly request personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 18, without requesting parental consent.
The site tracks user traffic patterns throughout our site. However, we do not correlate this information with data about individual users. Our data analysis software does break down overall usage statistics according to a user’s domain name, browser type, and MIME type by reading this information from the browser string (information contained in every user’s browser).
We use tracking information to determine which areas of our sites users like and don’t like based on traffic to those areas. We do not track what individual users read, but rather how well each page performs overall. This helps us continue to build a better service for you.
Use of Information
As stated above, we use information that users voluntarily provide in order to send out electronic newsletters and to enable users to participate in polls, surveys, message boards, and forums. We send out newsletters to subscribers on a regular schedule (depending on the newsletter), and occasionally send out special editions when we think subscribers might be particularly interested in something we are doing. We will never share newsletter mailing lists with any third parties, including advertisers, sponsors or partners.
When we use tracking information to determine which areas of our site users like and don’t like based on traffic to those areas, we do not track what individual users read, but rather how well each page performs overall. This helps us continue to build a better service for you. We track search terms entered in search function as one of many measures of what interests our users. But we don’t track which terms a particular user enters.
Our data analysis tools create aggregate reports on user demographics and traffic patterns for advertisers and partners. We will not disclose any information about any individual user except to comply with applicable law or valid legal process or to protect the personal safety of our users or the public.
Sharing of Information
We uses the above-described information to tailor our content to suit your needs and help us better understand our audience’s demographics. We will not share information about individual users with any third party, except to comply with applicable law or valid legal process or to protect the personal safety of our users or the public.
We operate secure data networks protected by industry standard firewall and password protection systems. Our security and privacy policies are periodically reviewed and enhanced as necessary and only authorized individuals have access to the information provided by our customers.
We give users options, wherever necessary and practical, the option to opt out of anything they choose to. Such choices include:
- Opting not to register to receive our electronic newsletters; and
- Opting not to participate in certain interactive areas, which completely alleviates the need to gather any personally identifiable information from our users